The Hochberg glassworks site
The Hochberg glassworks: one and a half centuries of business
Founded in 1715, the Hochberg glassworks was to operate until 1868, manufacturing bottles, clock glasses and sheet glass, the products in which it specialised during the 19th century.
After an archaeological survey of the entire site, excavations were undertaken by the Pôle d’Archéologie Interdépartemental Rhénan in December 2007. These have given us a better understanding of operations in the main workshop, the building that was the very heart of the glassworks, built of wood on stone foundations.
Day-to-day life was organised around this main workshop: houses were built nearby and the first land clearances were converted into fields and meadows, as the glassmakers, in addition to their job in the glassworks, were involved in arable and livestock activities.
The Château Teutsch
As for the Château Teutsch, it was built in 1863 by Edouard Teutsch, who was the owner of the glassworks at that time. A little later, he was to take his place in the history of Alsace as a Protestation deputy. General Councillor of the republican tendency, he was elected to the National Assembly in 1871 during the Franco-Prussian war. His voice continues to be associated with those of Victor Hugo and Léon Gambetta who protested against the annexation of Alsace-Moselle. In 1874, he was elected to the Reichstag and again denounced this incorporation.
Having finally opted for France and being appointed Treasurer and Paymaster General, he would return to spend each summer at his Hochberg property. His daughter, Marguerite, described it as follows: The estate was very large, beautiful trees, immense flowerbeds during the two months of the holiday. A wonderful avenue of fir trees led to the exit to the houses and the farm. A pond, just before this exit, was used to keep crayfish alive, which were put in the water to keep them wet. [...] A statue of Diana with the hind made a marvellous impression. The estate extended quite a long way and ended with a gazebo, a picturesque cottage. Peacocks wandered around the estate and were beautiful to behold. It all amounted to a very beautiful property.
Today, the Château Teutsch is owned by the Town of Bischheim and provides accommodation for groups, whether in the form of holiday centres or for weddings and seminars.